Brief Biography/Resume 2018
For 41 years I have explored the mysteries of glass. It continues to fascinate and teach me daily that boundaries can be pushed and new territories explored in my personal life, in wildlife and glass.
I am a wildlife artist with glass and graphite as my mediums. My glass work includes fused, slumped, cast and furnace techniques. In addition I include my original drawings in my professional portfolio.
I am a member of Society of Animal Artists, and Artists for Conservation. One of my elephant fine art pieces was chosen for the Corning Museum New Glass Review #22. In 2015, I was honored by Artists for Conservation as Conservation Artist in the month of October for my volunteer work with sea turtles and my sea turtle artwork. In 2017 I received the Environmental Statement Award in Sculpture, from Artists for Conservation, for my artwork – “You’re Killing Me: Oceanic Assassins – Propellers and Plastic”.
In July 2017, my conservation sea turtle sculpture called “The Cycle of Life : Sea Turtle Glass Sculpture – Environmental Art Education Project was completed. It has over 60 plus cast glass parts and includes sea turtle hatchlings, a mother sea turtle, an encroaching oil spill, plastic debris, a 4wheeler tread over a sea turtle nest and predators all assembled on a custom wood base. I continue to look for the best option to install this educational sculpture in a sea turtle hospital/children’s museum/marine environmental center. It was created to educate young and old about the daily perils that threatened and endangered sea turtles and other marine wildlife face.
- Sea Turtle Festival, Gumbo Limbo Nature Center, Boca Raton, FL., Feb. 2018
- South Eastern Regional Sea Turtle Meeting, Exhibitor, Myrtle Beach SC., Feb 2018
- Holter Museum of Art, Aquarium Gallery, Conservation from River to Ocean, Helena, MT., November 2016
- Sarasota Rotary Art Festival, Sarasota, FL, February 2015
- Bonita Springs National Art Festival, Bonita Springs, FL. January 2015
- Live Glass: Glass Lives, Emerson Center for the Arts & Culture. Bozeman, Montana 2/7 to 5/3 2014
- Montana Professional Artists Association Annual Show, 2014, 2013, 2012
- Ravalli County Museum, One Woman Show, Hamilton, Montana 2011
- Artists Along the Bitterroot Studio Tour, Bitterroot Valley, Montana, 2014, 2012,2011, 2010, 2009
- CCF Auction/Fund Raiser, Oregon Zoo, Portland, Oregon, 2007-2000
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, Charleston, South Carolina 2004,1998
- Annual Society of Animal Artists Exhibition 2004,2003,2001,2000
- Audubon Society of Portland Wild Arts Festival 2003-1995 Featured Artist – 1998
- 2013 (in progress) -Tea Cups Crevasse Coral Reef Commission, Vancouver, WA.
- 2013 Kelp Forest and Sea Otter, Portland, OR.
- 2011 Winter Cougar, Blanchard, OK.
- 2011 Raven Clan Wall Piece, Corbett, OR.
- 2007 Great White Egret Wall Piece, Portland, OR.
- 2005 Australian Parrot Wall Piece, Rochester, MN.
- 2000 Zebra, Elephant, and Sable Antelope Series, Private Residence, Portland, OR.
- Artists for Conservation – Environmental Statement Award for Sculpture, October 2017
- October 2015 – Artists for Conservation honors Kathleen Sheard as recipient of the AFC Monthly Conservation Artist Award
- 2001 Sculptor Roundtable, “41rst Annual SAA Exhibition”, West Valley Art Museum, Surprise, AZ.
- 1997 Technical Assistance Grant – Artist African Safari Workshop, Regional Arts and Culture Council, Portland, OR.
- “Contemporary Wildlife Art”, Cindy Ann Coldiron, Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. May 2015
- “The Great White Egret Commission”, Kathleen Sheard, 2008
- “Women Working in Glass”, Lucartha Kohler, Schiffer Publishing, Ltd., June 2003
- “Kathleen Jean Sheard “ the fine art of wildlife in glass”, WILDLIFE ART, May/June, 2002
- “Featured 100 Top Innovative Glass Works 2000”, Corning Museum of Glass-New Glass Review 22, May 2001
- Extreme Dreams Gallery, Haines, Alaska
- Society of Animal Artists
- Artists For Conservation
- 4 Ravens Gallery, Missoula, MT
- Montana Bliss Artworks, Hamilton, MT
- Michael’s on Main, Sarasota, FL.
- Fusion Art Glass, Seaside, FL.
- Artist Studio, Hamilton, Montana
- Artist Studio Haines, Alaska
- The Studio, Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, New York
- C3 Studios, Duluth, Georgia
- Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- Eugene Glass School, Eugene, Oregon
- Weisser Glass Studios, Washington, DC.
- 2015 Kiln Cast Glass Workshop, Mark Abildgaard, Uroboros Glass Works, Portland, OR.
- 2009 Sculpture Workshop with Arthur Norby, nationally known bronze artist, Stevensville, Montana
- 2005 Hot Glass Sculpture Workshop with Karen Willenbrink Johnsen, Eugene Glass School, Eugene, Oregon
- 2002 Teaching Forum, Bullseye Glass, Portland, Oregon
- 1976 BS Graphic Design/Minor – Biology, University of Southern Colorado, Pueblo, CO.
IN-THE-FIELD EDUCATION AND CONSERVATION
- 2017 Coral Reef Commission continuing research. Diving. Kona, Hawaii.
- 2016-08 Sea Turtle Volunteer Alligator Point, Florida/corresponding workshops
- 2015 Hawaiian Wildlife Fund, Sea Turtle Volunteer. Maui. January.
PADI Open Water Certification, Kona, Hawaii. January.
Golisano Children’s Museum, Presentation, “Let’s Get Wild/Safari”. January.
- 2014 Introductory PADI Ocean Dives, Kona, Hawaii. Research Coral Reef Commission.
- 2005-03 Living and working outside Haines, Alaska, in depth study of wildlife and wilderness
- 1997 Artist African Safari Workshop, John Banovich and Kobus Moller, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia