Brief Biography/Resume 2016
For 39 years I have explored the mysteries of glass. It continues to fascinate and teach me daily that boundaries can be pushed and new territories explored in my personal life, in wildlife and glass.
I am a wildlife artist with glass and graphite as my mediums. My glass work includes fused, slumped, cast and furnace techniques. In addition I include my original drawings in my professional portfolio.
I am a member of Society of Animal Artists, Artists for Conservation, Montana Professional Artists Association, and Artists Along the Bitterroot. One of my elephant fine art pieces was chosen for the Corning Museum New Glass Review #22. My work is found in galleries, museums and private collections. I participate in a selection of wildlife and mixed media shows across the United States and teach my style of wildlife glass in a variety of venues.
In May 2016, I, along with a team of six artists, worked on my kiln cast glass sea turtle sculpture called “The Cycle of Life”, at The Studio of the Corning Museum of Glass, in Corning, NY. It has over 50 cast glass parts and includes a sea turtle nest, sea turtle hatchlings, the mother sea turtle, and an encroaching oil spill on a custom wood base. As we complete the final parts of this sculpture we continue to look for the best option to install this educational sculpture in a sea turtle hospital/children’s museum/marine environmental center.
- Holter Museum of Art, Aquarium Gallery, Helena, MT., November 2016
- Sarasota Rotary Art Festival, Sarasota, FL, February 2015
- Bonita Springs National Art Festival, Bonita Springs, FL. January 2015
- Live Glass: Glass Lives, Emerson Center for the Arts & Culture. Bozeman, Montana 2/7 to 5/3 2014
- “Pen Pencil Paper Print Group Show” Challis Art Council. Mad Dog Gallery, Challis, Idaho March 2014
- Montana Professional Artists Association Annual Show, 2014, 2013, 2012
- New London Fine Art Festival, New London, Minnesota, August 2013, 2012
- Ravalli County Museum, One Woman Show, Hamilton, Montana 2011
- Artists Along the Bitterroot Studio Tour, Bitterroot Valley, Montana, 2014, 2012,2011, 2010, 2009
- Sculpture in the Park, Loveland, Colorado, 2007
- CCF Auction/Fund Raiser, Oregon Zoo, Portland, Oregon, 2007-2000
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, Charleston, South Carolina 2004,1998
- Annual Society of Animal Artists Exhibition 2004,2003,2001,2000
- Safari Club International 2003-1998
- Audubon Society of Portland Wild Arts Festival 2003-1995 Featured Artist – 1998
- 2013 (in progress) -Tea Cups Crevasse Coral Reef Commission, Vancouver, WA.
- 2013 Kelp Forest and Sea Otter, Portland, OR.
- 2011 Winter Cougar, Blanchard, OK.
- 2011 Raven Clan Wall Piece, Corbett, OR.
- 2007 Great White Egret Wall Piece, Portland, OR.
- 2005 Australian Parrot Wall Piece, Rochester, MN.
- 2000 Zebra, Elephant, and Sable Antelope Series, Private Residence, Portland, OR.
- October 2015 – Artists for Conservation honors Kathleen Sheard as recipient of the AFC Monthly Conservation Artist Award
- 2001 Sculptor Roundtable, “41rst Annual SAA Exhibition”, West Valley Art Museum, Surprise, AZ.
- 1997 Technical Assistance Grant – Artist African Safari Workshop, Regional Arts and Culture Council, Portland, OR.
- “Contemporary Wildlife Art”, Cindy Ann Coldiron, Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. May 2015
- “The Great White Egret Commission”, Kathleen Sheard, 2008
- “Contemporary Glass Enameling”, Kay Bain Weiner, Eastman Publishing, 2005
- “Women Working in Glass”, Lucartha Kohler, Schiffer Publishing, Ltd., June 2003
- “Kathleen Jean Sheard â€“ the fine art of wildlife in glass”, WILDLIFE ART, May/June, 2002
- “Featured 100 Top Innovative Glass Works 2000”, Corning Museum of Glass-New Glass Review 22, May 2001
- Artists Along the Bitterroot
- Extreme Dreams Gallery, Haines, Alaska
- Society of Animal Artists
- Artists For Conservation
- Montana Professional Artists Association
- 4 Ravens Gallery, Missoula, MT
- Michael’s on Main, Sarasota, FL
- Fusion Art Glass, Seaside, FL.
- Artist Studio, Hamilton, Montana
- Artist Studio Haines, Alaska
- The Studio, Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, New York
- C3 Studios, Duluth, Georgia
- Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- Eugene Glass School, Eugene, Oregon
- Weisser Glass Studios, Washington, DC.
- 2015 Kiln Cast Glass Workshop, Mark Abildgaard, Uroboros Glass Works, Portland, OR.
- 2009 Sculpture Workshop with Arthur Norby, nationally known bronze artist, Stevensville, Montana
- 2005 Hot Glass Sculpture Workshop with Karen Willenbrink Johnsen, Eugene Glass School, Eugene, Oregon
- 2002 Teaching Forum, Bullseye Glass, Portland, Oregon
- 1976 BS Graphic Design/Minor – Biology, University of Southern Colorado, Pueblo, CO.
IN-THE-FIELD EDUCATION AND CONSERVATION
- 2017 Coral Reef Commission continuing research. Diving. Kona, Hawaii.
- 2016-08 Sea Turtle Volunteer Alligator Point, Florida/corresponding workshops
- 2015 Hawaiian Wildlife Fund, Sea Turtle Volunteer. Maui. January.
PADI Open Water Certification, Kona, Hawaii. January.
Golisano Children’s Museum, Presentation, “Let’s Get Wild/Safari”. January.
- 2014 Introductory PADI Ocean Dives, Kona, Hawaii. Research Coral Reef Commission.
- 2005-03 Living and working outside Haines, Alaska, in depth study of wildlife and wilderness
- 1997 Artist African Safari Workshop, John Banovich and Kobus Moller, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia